Ways to give
Please note we can NOT accept any homemade products like preserves, baked goods, etc. no matter how tasty they might be. This is due to food safety regulations.
Currently we could use more:
Peanut Butter (crunchy and plain)
Canned chicken, salmon and tuna
Dish soap and laundry detergent
Oral Hygiene items (toothpaste, toothbrushes & floss)
Feminine Hygiene items (sanitary napkins, poise pads)
Spaghetti, elbow macaroni, rotini, etc.
Meals in Cans – Beef Stew, Chili, Beef Ravioli, Hash, Spaghetti O's, Spaghetti & Meatballs
Rice/pasta helpers (rice/pasta sides, rice-a-roni, pilaf, etc.)
Canned fruit (no sugar added)
Canned beans (Black, Kidney, Cannellini, etc)
Ketchup, mayonnaise, yellow mustard, salad dressing
Hearty Soups (low-sodium would be helpful)
Broth (chicken, beef, or vegetable)
Items we do not need at this time:
- Open, used, or expired items
- Soda and protein drinks
- Juice boxes
- Baby food (we make sure eligible families are getting WIC benefits)
- Miscellaneous condiments (just ketchup, mayo, mustard, and salad dressing please)
- Cookbooks, magazines, and other books
- Diapers (We get them from the Vermont Diaper Bank)
Consider a Food Drive at your work, school, or in your neighborhood.
Here are some tips and pointers to make your drive successful:
- Please contact us via email at shelburnefoodshelf@ or through the gmail.comContact Us page on this site and let us know! We can help with the most updated info on what we specifically need and arrange a time for items to be dropped off that works best for you.
- Consider a targeted drive...call it a Soup Drive or a Healthy Teeth drive! This would be asking for 1 or 2 types of items we need most. It allows us to stock our limited space most effectively and meet our shoppers needs. (see Current Targeted Needs above)
- Make sure that any items donated are unopened, unexpired, and something you would eat yourself or feed your family. We love donations and hate to waste food!
- Food drives are a great source of a variety of food for us. Our shoppers appreciate this!
- Inspiring article about childhood hunger and the power of giving
A great way to raise funds for the Shelburne Food Drive is to host a fundraiser at your business.
- A portion of your profits from one one day or a special event.
- Ask patrons to round up sales to the next even dollar amount.
- Promote your fundraiser on social media and with on-site signage.
Email us at shelburnefoodshelf@ for more information gmail.com
Local businesses that have hosted fundraisers for the Shelburne Food Shelf:
- Shelburne Market
- Shelburne Vineyard
- Union Bank
- Archie's Grill
- Peg & Ter’s
- Shelburne Athletic Club
Volunteers assist with food distribution and other tasks. Volunteers choose their scheduled hours using an easy, internet-based calendar-software program. Typically, a volunteer will give 3 to 6 hours of their time per month to the Food Shelf. New volunteers are ALWAYS welcome! You may sign up on our volunteer page, call us at 802-622-3313 (then press 3), or email shelburnefoodshelf@ if you have questions. gmail.com